Eight IEBC officers from Homabay, Kisumu and Bungoma counties have been arrested and sacked after they were set up meeting two campaigners for administrative and county assembly.
The electoral commission dismissed and replaced four officers in Ndhiwa Constituency and three in Webuye East independently.
County Returning Officer Fredrick Apopa verified IEBC had dismissed the officers who were arrested after they reportedly held a secret meeting with two campaigners. One of the campaigners is seeking the MCA seat and the other bone is eyeing a administrative seat.
Apopa said the four were a presiding officer of a polling station in Kanyadoto Ward, two deputy presiding officers of two polling stations in Kanyadoto Ward, and a clerk of a polling station in Kwabwai Ward.
READ ALSO: Kuppet points accusing finger on Education CS after he opposed payment increase demands
The suspects had been handed over to IEBC for farther action after their arrest. primary examinations indicated that the officers had held a secret meeting with the campaigners in a grange at Riat vill in Kanyikela ward on Sunday.
” The officers violated the electoral law of conduct by meeting the campaigners,” Apopa said, adding that IEBC terminated their contracts for trying to onus the character of the commission.
He added “ What they did has lowered their credibility and they can no longer be trusted as election officers. That’s why they’ve been dismissed. ”
The police said they’ve invited the residers who arrested the four to record statements and exfoliate further light on the incident.
A deputy presiding officer was arrested in Nyando constituency and taken to DIC services in the area for questioning. Reports indicated that the returning officer was captured in a videotape trying to convert a Presiding officer of another polling station to favour a certain seeker whom he didn’t expose.
READ ALSO: Prof Magoha forced to apologize to Teachers
In Bungoma, the County Returning Officer Grace Rono told The Standard the arrested officer was set up in a politician’s home in the company of two associates who managed to escape.
“ He was accosted in the home of a politician, I do n’t know what he was doing there so he was arrested but his cohorts managed to escape. ”
But Ms Rono dismissed claims that the functionary, a deputy presiding clerk had ballot papers in his possession. “ We hadn’t opened ballot boxes by the time the functionary was being arrested. ”
The suspect is being held at Webuye police station. “ We’ve dismissed the three because they went against the pledge, ” said Rono.
IEBC County Returning Officer Mohamed Laka said a volley hired to deliver some of thenon-strategic accoutrements including polling cells, rubber prints and ballot box seals to the Tharaka constituency tallying centre at Kathwana was interdicted by some residers and after an argument, some accoutrements were destroyed in the Tophet at Kaanwa in Chuka Igambang’ ombe.
READ ALSO: Ruto links Matiang’i and NIS to leaflets in his backyard
The auto which was attended by a police auto at a distance was spotted by some residers at Kaanwa, a beast deals request centre, who claimed it was ferrying election material.
Tharaka Nithi County Police Commander Donata Chari said police helped to regain what could be saved from the incident and progressed to their destination.
No apprehensions had been made on the incident by Monday evening though police said the residers who were at the scene of the accident had confessed that they were trying to baffle a possible apparel scheme.
IEBC was forced to suspend choices for the Mombasa and Kakamega governor races, Kacheliba and West Pokoto MCA choices due to publishing crimes.
In West Pokot, confusion was witnessed after IEBC officers discovered some ballot papers for members of the National Assembly in Kacheliba and Pokot South had printing crimes.
READ ALSO: Kisumu boys eventually recieves new principal after the demise of former principal
According to the constituency returning officer Wilson Kimutai, the officers discovered the names of campaigners fighting for members of the public assembly had campaigners from the Pokot South constituency.
“ When we checked, we realised the ballot papers have campaigners for Pokot South constituency. I’ve communicated the same to the commission. The decision will be made by the commission, ” Kimutai said.
Kimutai said the other ballot papers for President, gubernatorial, Women Representative, Senate and Member of county assembly were each verified to be correct.
“ The ballot papers have been published with correct constituency name, wards, and polling station canons for Kacheliba, but campaigners belong to Pokot South. The names, prints and symbols belong to campaigners in Pokot South, ” he explained.
In Pokot South, Kenya Union Party seeker David Pkosing raised concern after ballot papers meant for members of the National Assembly had names and prints of campaigners from Makueni.
READ ALSO: Check out New reporting dates for newly TSC employees
In Nakuru, the government has lifted the dusk- to- dawn curfew in corridor of Elgeyo Marakwet, Baringo and West Pokot Counties for three days to enable members to bounce.
Rift Valley Regional Commissioner Maalim Mohamed said the residers will be allowed outdoors at night from Monday to Wednesday.
Mr Mohamed said after the three days, the curfew will renew for the 45- day period set by the government.
The curfew was assessed by Interior CS Fred Matiang ’ i and gazetted on June 4, to pave way for security agencies to conduct operations against banditry in the area.
The curfew extended for 45 further days on June 7, is effective between 6 pm and 6 am. It’ll end on August 20
Maalim dismissed claims that some of the Polling Stations had been moved due to instability enterprises.
He said the three counties are secured and further officers have been stationed to insure the choices are free and fair.
“ The same way KCPE and KCSE examinations were done, the government will insure there’s security in the region, ” he said.
He added that for a polling station to be moved, it must be gazetted and advised Kenyans against spreading propaganda and fake news that hold no water.
READ ALSO: Girls with sensitive skin here is an effective routine for you
The region has entered vehicles, energy, labor force and security agencies including the General Service Unit,Anti-stock theft unit, National Youth Service and National police service.
“ We’ve stationed 67 special formed- up units in perceived hotspot areas. Each of the 12,380 polling stations in Nakuru, Uasin Gishu, Trans Nzoia, Kericho, Bomet and Narok will be secured, ” said Maalim.
The government won’t close down businesses or entertainment joints during choices. According to Maalim, businesses, bars and caffs will remain open and will be secured.
Maalim noted a many insulated hanging circulars that had been dropped in corridor of Uasin Gishu County. Police have arrested and charged nine people in connection to the circulars. Each of them was granted a bond of Sh1million, awaiting trial, said Maalim.
At the same time, the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission( IEBC) in Nakuru county has assured Kenyans that they’re ready for choices moment( Tuesday).
Dr Joseph Mele, the Nakuru County Returning Officer said they’ve entered all choices material including those of Nakuru men and womanish GK incarcerations.
READ ALSO: TSC to announce 20 000 internship teaching Vacancies. Check out for Details below
“ Nakuru has registered choosers and both homemade and digital registers will be available in every polling station, ” said Mele.
According to Mele, all presiding officers in the 11 constituencies within the county went for mapping in their separate polling stations, to insure all systems are working.
Mele said there were enterprises in Kiptoro area within Kuresoi South where heavy downfall was reported.
“ We were told that the roads are impenetrable but we’ve put up measures to insure our officers reach their areas of designation, ” said Mele.
He added that they’ve stationed creators to some polling stations that have no electricity.
James Omoro and Juliet Omelo, Daniel Chege, Olivia Odhiambo and Sharon Owino
READ ALSO: No more upgrading program for Diploma holders following TSC announcement